I just love learning about the components of the soap that we choose to use for our Handmade Soap here at our mini homestead. These are some of the basic ingredients we use regularly, in our cold process soaps. As I learn of others and their benefits, you will see this list updated. Some basics such as Olive Oil help to create a mild, soft soap (my favourites), while others like Coconut Oil create a harder, longer lasting bar. We use a superfat of typically 4-7% (leaving oils unsaponified in reaction, so they have direct benefits to your skin). I have been incorporating oils with extra vitamins and other healing, soothing properties such as Soybean and Sunflower Oil
. All of our ingredients are purchased locally at this time from wholesalers in Ontario, Canada. Our bars are all made with an exact purpose, to create the best natural combination for your skin...
Avocado Oil PERSEA GRATISSIMA
- A rich, deeply penetrating oil that nourishes and restores dry, dehydrated skin.
- Keeps it moist and smooth, and soothes sensitive or scaly skin
- High in Vitamins A, D lecithin and potassium. contains beta-carotene, proteins and more than 20% essential unsaturated fatty acids. The fatty acids contained are palmitic, palmitoleic, stearic, oleic, linoleic and linolenic.
- Great for skin lotions as it can treat minor skin irritations, act as a natural sunscreen, and a natural bactericidal.
Almond Oil (Sweet) Prunus dulcis
- Moisturing emollient helps condition the skin and create a stable lather
- Alleviates dry skin, and can soothe inflammation
- Relieves itching caused by eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis
Castor Oil RICINUS COMMUNIS
- Highly moisturizing and humectant-easily penetrates and softens skin
- Condition the skin and creates a stable lather.
- Our Castor Oil is hexane free.
- Naturally offers anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties
- Helps sooth eczema, psoriasis, chapped skin and burns
Coconut Oil COCOS NUCIFERA
- Useful for dry, itchy, sensitive skin.
- It will not clog pores
- absorbs readily into the skin.
- Creates a hard bar of soap with a rich fluffy lather.
- smoothes skin, yet is light and non-greasy.
- Creates a mild soft soap
Palm oil (refined, bleached, deodorized) ELAEIS GUINEENSIS
- Helps create a hard, long lasting bar of soap, that resists melting
- Stable lather
- Sustainably grown and produced on a plantation that is not used on Rain Forest land. Our supplier is a member of RSPO (Roundtable Sustainable Palm Oil).
Soybean Oil- Non GMO GLYCINE SOJA
- Evens skin tone and softens skin texture.
- High in natural source lecithin, sterolins, and vitamin E,
- Easily absorbed and leaves a smooth sensation to the skin.
- Rich in unsaturated fat acid, sterols, Vitamins A, E and K
- antioxidant properties
- moisturization and barrier protection
Sunflower oil HELIANTHUS ANNUUS
- Easily absorbed into the skin.
- Great stability and emolliency
- Contains vitamins A, D and mostly Vitamin E.
- Intended for mature, sensitive, dry or damaged skin.
- Softens and moisturizes skin
Lavender - Calming - balance out moisture levels in your skin. It’s an anti-inflammatory that can reduce redness and its also a natural hydrator. Good for sensitive skin. Anti-aging properties
Peppermint - Uplifting menthol causes an almost analgesic effect on the skin, cooling down.
Patchouli - warm - reduces pain and inflammation. Ok for excemea inflamed skin. Has anti-aging qualities.
Eucalyptus - pain-relieving qualities. It may also provide moisture to itchy skin and sunburns
Frankincense - can help alleviate oily and acne-prone skin. Contains lipids for aging skin. Good for sensitive skin. Helps even out age spots. Anti-aging properties
Orange - uplifting. Anti-aging properties
Lemon - can help fight free radicals that can contribute to acne and photoaging.
Lemongrass - natural astringent properties. These can help fight pimples by acting as an antimicrobial while also removing excess dead skin cells.
Rosemary - anti-inflammatory, and stimulating. Esters, may help keep excess sebum at bay. When added to shampoo bars, can assist with oily hair and dandruff - may even stimulate hair growth.
Cinnamon - may assist inflammed acne-prone skin. like cysts, nodules, and pustules.
Tea Tree - natural antiseptic - fights bacteria and inflamation. Great in shampoo bars, also repels headlice.
Cedarwood - acne fighting
Sandalwood - Rich earthy, - reducing inflammation while promoting moisture in the skin. Good for sensitive skin
Ylang Ylang - physical and mental balance. may also help inhibit skin pigmentation.
Rose - Contains vitamins A and C, could create younger-looking skin with fewer lines.
Geranium - balance out skin oils. Helps evening out hydration levels, and skin tones. Can help with skin rashes.
And some rich, luxurious Butters include
Raw Shea Butter
Raw Cocoa Butter
Goats Milk -
Craft Brewed IPA -
Yogurt - lactic Acid and creaminess behind a yummy hydrating soap bar. full of skin-loving proteins and minerals.
Some Exotic Oils that we just had try:
Rice Bran Oil